A Different Concept of FIRE: fatFIRE with The Physician on Fire, Leif Dahleen
Leif Dahleen is an anesthesiologist. He attended the University of Minnesota for his undergraduate and medical school education, completed an internship at Gundersen Lutheran in La Crosse, Wisconsin and finished his residency at the University of Florida in 2006. He practiced anesthesia in Florida, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan, South Dakota, and Minnesota. A decade into his career, he realized he could be considered financially independent. He retired from medicine at age 43, traveled extensively with his family before the pandemic hit, and maintains the website physicianonfire.com.
[00:01 – 07:56] Opening Segment
- I talk briefly about great values that await you in this episode
- I introduce the guest, Leif Dahleen
- Leif talks about his background
- His years in Medicine
- Plan to exit and retire with financial independence
- Leif talks about the concept of fatFIRE
- fatFIRE is living above the average American household
[07:57 – 19:56] The fatFIRE Concept of the FIRE movement
- Families budget and plan for their retirement and investments
- Debts into retirement
- It’s all about mindset
- Risk mitigation
- The fatFIRE movement
- Mostly involves people who own businesses
- Taking risks in investments when you have the means and resources
- Leif talks about the causes he supports
[19:57 – 26:15] Closing Segment
- Quick break for our sponsors
- What is the best investment you've ever made other than your education?
- $1800 Diamond ring that I gave to my wife
- What is the worst investment you ever made?
- Purchasing individual stocks
- What is the most important lesson that you've learned in business and investing?
- There’s beauty in simplicity
- Connect with Michael. See the links below.
“There’s beauty in Simplicity. I think you can keep your investment plan very simple and be successful.” - Leif Dahleen
“When we’re talking specifically about fatFIRE, you’re going to see a higher percentage of people who do own their own business. That is one path to becoming wealthy.” - Leif Dahleen
LEAVE A REVIEW + help someone who wants to explode their business growth by sharing this episode or click here to listen to our previous episodes.